Just a note on "sound stage" -- generally speaking, talk of wider sound
stages is pure nonsense.  Optimally, the sound stage should be no wider
than the distance between the speakers, driver to driver.  If you are
hearing something wider than that -- and this is not only possible but
often or usually the case -- then you are hearing room interactions and
reflections.  This, in turn, means you are hearing more mush and less
music.

If you listen to highly directional speakers smartly placed in a room
-- Quads, Gradients, and a lot of monitors fit the bill -- you'll get
the picture.  If you listen to a system in a room that has been
well-treated (panels, etc.) you'll see what an enormous difference that
makes.  A difference in electrical source would make no difference in
reflective qualities in your room or directionality of the speaker.

I have a hunch that, when people speak about wider sound stages, they
are really experiencing a clearer experience of instrument/voice/etc.
placement, more "air" and better reproduction of decay, etc.  IE, stuff
having to so with a better reproduced sound stage.  Just a hunch,
though.

--
lafayette

Sweet Home Alabama