Thanks Pat and Phil, this is really facinating! I always assumed the
artists wanted to be heard like they actually sound, it never occurred
to me that their subjective impressions of themselves (once they reach
the professional level) would be different from their actual sound.
This must make it really frustrating for recording/mastering
engineers!

On another note, I have sometimes heard that the recording process
itself is sonically degrading to the original studio sound, due to
bandwidth limitations. For instance, here's a quote from the
space-tech-lab.com website (FAQ section), explaining how tube gears can
remedy this problem:

"Tube-amp  has higher THD (total harmonic distortion) than
transistor-amp by testing, but those THD created by tube-amp is all
even harmonics which is very pleasant to ear and will not feel
disturbing unless it is > 12% (proven test by actual experiment
conducted by scientist) . But transistor-amp gives out odd harmonic
distortions which is highly un-pleasant to human ear, by actual
experiment, just 0.1-0.2% of odd harmonic distortion is audible and
will create very un-pleasant feelings even to un-trained ear. We
actually need those harmonics generated by tubes , it is because during
the recording process, a lot of valuable harmonic information has been
cut due to limited bandwidth processing, so the naturalness of those
instruments will degraded, lucky those harmonics generated by tubes
will compensate large portion of those lost information. That's why
tube gear always sound more natural and pleasant, it is just simply
more close to a real musical instrument or human voice."

Can you please comment on this, is it actually true that existing
harmonic information is lost in the recording process, due to bandwidth
limit issues?

--
NewBuyer