I've been away for the Xmas break, and have just noticed this thread.
Since it seems that it was started in response to a comment I made in
another thread, I should try to clarify what I meant.

ModelCitizen;164315 Wrote:
> You can have a hifi set up wihtout a pre-amp? I currently use a
> Transporter directly into a NAIM power amp. However I am under the
> impression that I am using the Transporter's built-in pre-amp. Is this
> not true? If it is true why should the pre-amp be better than than the
> NAIM pre-amp I used to use?
Yes, of course there is a "preamp" in the Transporter: the analogue
output circuitry that follows the DAC. When I said that "the best
preamp is no preamp at all", I was referring to the addition of a
separate preamp in the signal path. For example, if you feed your Naim
preamp from the Transporter, you now have effectively two preamps in
circuit: the Transporter's (which you can't avoid), plus the Naim. It
is my contention that in most systems, the additional preamp is
undesirable. In my experience, of all the electronic components in a
HiFi system, preamps are the least transparent. (That's why really good
ones cost so much).

There are exceptions. If your power amps have a low input impedance,
they may benefit from the buffering stage of an active preamp. But the
vast majority of power amps these days have sufficiently high input
impedances that this is not really an issue.

ModelCitizen;164315 Wrote:
> NAIM dealers tend to say that using another pre-amp (rather than a NAIM)
> can introduce "instability" (yup, I know... not too technical, but then
> NAIM dealers tend towards the wooly rather than the technical). Patrick
> Dixon has said on these forums that the pre-amp should block very high
> freuencies (out-of-hearing range one presumes) to work properly with a
> NAIM amp, otherwise "instability" is the result.
Naim power amps rely on being fed a bandwidth limited signal to avoid
being driven into instability. I don't know exactly why this is, but am
told it is a result of the particular circuit topology used by Naim. Of
course, Naim preamps ensure suitable bandwidth limiting. Most others
don't (DNM is one other that springs to mind that does).

Therefore using a Naim power amp may be another possible case where a
(suitable) preamp is desirable. That said, with good quality digital
sources that have proper anti-imaging filters, I'd imagine that there
is unlikely to be much high frequency energy in a signal anyway, so
perhaps this particular issue with Naim power amps isn't so relevant
any more.

ModelCitizen;164315 Wrote:
> I assume that if this is the case with NAIM it might well be the case
> with other power amp/pre-amp combos.
I think Naim are actually pretty unusual in this respect. Most other
power amps don't have the same bandwidth limitation requirements.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?