ezkcdude;168698 Wrote:
> I think both the TV and iPhone miss the mark. There are numerous
> solutions that do what the AppleTV does, and the iPhone is way too
> expensive for what it does. Although, I agree with the above poster
> that a nice SlimServer skin would make it more appealing, in that it
> could be used as a Wi-Fi remote.

I think it is too expensive for the iPod user market, most have Nanos
or shuffles, but it is not expensive compared to Smartphones, such as
Trios, SonyEricssons, Nokias and others that cost in the region of
$500. What is scary though is that you have to sign up for a 2 year
contract to get that price and there is no mention of monthly charges
as yet. It gives you an idea of what it would cost without contract. In
the UK we're used to getting handsets for free or under £100 with a
year's contract.

So the question is - will an iPod user shell out for the phone and
ditch the handset and iPod they currently own, or will business users
switch? The business users may well want to stick with exchange-based
devices from Microsoft, or encrypted devices like the Blackberry.

The real big plus point is it now means that the other manufacturers
have got to smarten up their act and produce handsets that are easy to
use to compete.

I think the AppleTV will be a big success, £199 in the UK compares very
favourably with SB3, especially if you already have a TV and I would
imagine leaves Roku and Sonus wondering what to do next. We may scoff
at proprietary file formats and closed nature of the beast, but
consumers simply don't care - the many millions of downloads on iTunes
testify to that.

I will probably buy one because the interface is far better for my
family to use, the SB is so geeky in comparison - they have used both
and never come back to the SB. The SB survives because of audio
quality, but I may well ditch it if the AppleTV sounds as good through
my DAC. I rip all my CDs to Apple Lossless anyway so that my kids can
use iTunes on their PCs, so it would just make life a lot easier for
all of us.

--
CardinalFang