While the whole article is a piece of comic fiction, complete with so
many factual misrepresentations about CD replay that it's not worth
even trying to list them, two things did strike me as interesting:

1. Thay claim that the laser angle is adjusted during re-reads. I have
no idea whether this could actually ever hope to successfully read some
data that had failed with the laser in "standard alignment", but if it
can, then it is quite novel. Perhaps they could use that technology to
build a CDROM drive that gives the likes of EAC the best possible
chance of successfully ripping damaged CDs?

2. The use of flash memory. It is completely obvious why this sounds
better than using a hard disk, and it's got nothing to do with jitter.
Flash memory is slient, whereas even the quietest hard disk will
generate some background noise that will impinge on the playback
soundfield. (This is of course why the SB/TP approach - keeping the
server out of the listening room - is the correct one).

However, there is a serious disadvantage to using flash memory. It
wears out after a few tens of thousands of write cycles, and it's
expensive (compared to a hard disk). When one's Memory Player stops
working because the flash memory is hosed, I shudder to guess how much
Nova Physics are going to charge to replace it.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?