opaqueice;169377 Wrote:
> I'm more and more sympathetic with the school of thought that says
> source + powered speakers - and as little else as possible - is the way
> to go.  And the amp-per-driver design with active crossover also seems
> ideal.
>
> Anyone have any experience with the Linkwitz Orions?  The material on
> the website and the reviews I've seen are pretty impressive.
>
> http://www.linkwitzlab.com/

I have built a set of Orions for my primary two channel listening rig.
These displaced some MTMs that I had built earlier (which in turn
displaced some old Dahlquist DQ10's).  The Orions are fantastic
speakers - so good that I'm in the process of building another pair for
use in another setup.

I listen primarily to classical instrumental music - guitar, lute,
piano, etc.  Bass and midrange reproduction of a well recorded piano is
the best I have heard anywhere.  I find the Orions ideal for that sort
of source material.

My MTM's were actively driven also and I tried a variety of different
digital crossovers and amps driving them, including the DEQX 2.6 and
the DCX2496.  I also tried a variety of top quality midbass and tweeter
drivers from Peerless, Seas, North Creek and LCY.  I measured, optimized
and tweaked using SoundEasy and a variety of other measurement tools for
eight months.  After all of that, I was still dissatisfied.  I went to
hear the Orions locally and the rest is history.

--
jhenderson010759