First, I totally agree that the analog stage of the SB3 "currently is
not at a "hey, buddies, listen to this..." level.  But, through a good
DAC it's close.

I wonder if you might be giving up too easily on the Transporter.  I've
had mine for a month now, and the more I listen to it, the more I like
it (esp. for its upper end).  I wouldn't call it super 'bright', but I
would say it is has a medium-brightness and accuracy that doesn't tire
me out (I listen to mostly classical music).

Alas, my big system is in storage (BP25DA, 4BSST & WP7s), so I can't
yet offer you a side-by-side comparison of the Byrston vs Transporter
DACs.  However, through my Headroom Max Desktop DAC/amp and AKG701s
(albeit, an imperfect comparison), I can tell you that I really, really
enjoy listening to the Transporter DAC, certainly as much as I enjoyed
listening to the Bryston DAC.

Before my Transporter arrived, my opinion of Slimdevices (from owning
an SB2 &  SB3) was "Wow, those guys really understand how to put
together a digital transport".  After a month of TP listening, I now
feel that they also know a thing or two about how to build a great DAC.
It is at the hey-buddies-listen-to-this-level.  I recently realized
that regardless of how great a digital transport it is, the
Transporter's DAC is worthy of being evaluated against the best of the
standalone ones.

If you can get a 30 day trial on it, I'd give it a chance.  If it
doesn't work for you, return it and you'll be one month closer to the
release of the Bryston DAC...

--
muski