A perfect digital signal consists of two voltage levels and infinitely
sharp, perfectly evenly spaced transitions between them.  In S/PDIF
digital audio signals the DAC reconstructs a clock from those
transitions.  If the signal was ideal the DAC clock would be perfectly
regular.  Instead, because the transitions are not perfectly sharp, the
clock isn't quite regular, which results in some distortion to the
analogue output - this is called jitter.  The characteristics of the
cable will affect how much and what type of jitter gets introduced.

So in theory different cables can have an effect.  In practice I think
these differences are totally negligible.  I have seen several blind
tests indicating that there is no audible difference, and I have never
seen a positive result in such a test.  I think digital cables and
speaker wire are probably the least important part of the audio path;
as far as cables go, analogue interconnects are slightly more
important, but all of this pales in comparison to the distortions
introduced by speakers and room acoustics.

--
opaqueice