yooper;170970 Wrote:
> Here is my set up and thoughts.
>
> All my equipment is in my theater room.
>
> Mac Mini S/PDIF-toslink (glass)out to Transporter digital in.
> Mac Mini video out is connected via DVI/HDMI to TV allowing the TV to
> act a my monitor.
>
> Transporter is running balanced (XLR) out to pre-amp.
>
> So I'm thinking, if I want to use iTunes and ALAC, I can bypass
> Slimserver's interface while the Transporter DAC works it mojo on the
> digital in.
>
> This should work, no?
>
> If it does, my biggest concern is, will I lose any sound quality using
> the glass toslink (jitter) instead of a wireless stream?
>
> The obvious down side to this...no more flac.
>
> The upside, IMHO, a more elegent design/interface, ease of use/music
> management.
>
> Any thoughts?

Well, doing things this way you're simply using the TP as a DAC, which,
while I'm sure it's a good one, isn't really what it was designed for.
For that setup you will get better or equivalent results with a
jitter-rejecting DAC such as the Benchmark or Lavry, and at half the
cost.  However if you already have a TP you may as well go ahead and
try it; I doubt the jitter induced by the Toslink will have any
significant effect.

--
opaqueice