Mark Lanctot;171207 Wrote:
> It depends what they actually are.
>
> They indicate the Studio Masters are 24-bit.  I downloaded both the
> 16-bit and 24-bit samples and foobar2000 indicated they were both
> 16-bit, 44.1 kHz (CD equivalent).  Perhaps foobar2000 downsamples WMA
> to 16/44.1?
>
> Linn does not indicate what sample rate the Studio Masters are, only
> that they are 24-bit.
>
> The Squeezebox 3 can play up to 24-bit, 48 kHz.  24-bit, 96 kHz
> material is downsampled to 24-bit, 48 kHz, apparently very well.  The
> Transporter can play 24-bit, 96 kHz material natively (without
> resampling).  Neither can play material encoded higher than 24-bit, 96
> kHz.

I tried one song at $2.75 for the Studio master.  The Liszt Piano Grand
Etudes (track 4) was downloaded as a Studio Master (WMA lossless). It's
properties info says it is a 24/88 WMA 9.1 lossless 2 channel, VBR 100
quality, and runs at 2.27mps. Slimserver plays it fine on the
Transporter and Squeezebox3, but only when I told Slimserver to convert
WMA -> FLAC or WAV (not WMA built in). The players show it as a WMA
file, playing at 22.7khz with a bitrate of a high 2283kbps VBR, but I'm
not so sure that's not info coming off the tag, not what the network is
seeing.  Not sure how to know whether I'm hearing true 24/88 on TP (and
of course 24/48 on SB3). ?

--
ted_b