Finally this is getting better and better known.

> "In 1992 I did an album for a British heavy metal band. I got a
> panic-stricken message from their A&R man in America, saying 'We're
> really worried, the new album, it's not as loud as Aerosmith' or
> something. That was the start of it."

I knew it was those coke-snorting, Armani-wearing record execs who were
behind this.  They departed from reality long ago though, and besides,
they're too busy suing their customers.  Plus one day they will
hopefully all get shipped out to an island where they can do whatever
it is they do in total isolation for the rest of their lives and leave
music lovers alone.  What's really shameful are the artists who demand
it:

> "I had a famous 60s singer who's making a comeback this year. I'd
> mastered his album and I said, 'What do you think of it?' He said,
> 'It's great, but it's not as loud as the new Paul Simon. You've got to
> make it louder'."

They should know better!

> It's now at the point where CDs cannot get any louder, just more
> distorted.

I thought so.  My ReplayGain values have stabilized at -11 dB or so.

> ยท Compromised CDs
>
> Iggy Pop and the Stooges
> Raw Power (Columbia, 1997)
>
> Remixed by Pop in 1997, this remains among "the loudest CDs ever made".

I am getting into Iggy Pop but I must remember to avoid that album.

> Red Hot Chili Peppers
> Californication (Warner, 1999)
>
> Criticised for excessive compression and distortion. Subject of an
> online petition calling for a reissue.

So I'm not the only one who notices this.  One of the worst tracks is
-Parallel Universe- - when he belts out the words "California King" in
the chorus there's very obvious clipping, verified by looking at it in
Audacity.

> Oasis
> (What's the Story) Morning Glory (Creation, 1995)
>
> Exceptionally loud album that forced others to compete in volume.

Not surprising knowing the Gallaghers' attitudes...

> Rush
> Vapor Trails (Warner, 2002)
>
> "I can't get into this album at all, it lacks clarity, the songs sound
> the same," says one user review on Amazon. The overloud mastering may
> be to blame for this perception.

I've heard this before as well.  Another album to avoid.

What's funny is looking at the RG values for re-releases where I also
have the original.  Invariably, the newer version will always be
louder.

--
Mark Lanctot