I'm no expert on this stuff, but as long as the signal stays in the
digital domain jitter is not a factor, unless it is so extreme it
causes a misread. It is when the digital stream that contains jitter is
converted to analog that by-products are produced. The DAC being,
essentially an analog device, is where the problem rears its ugly head.

Again I am no expert, my experience with jitter is purely in the
digital domain, but if you can completely immobilize a cable I suspect
the cable would cease to be a source of jitter. So cables may vary in
their suseptiblity to vibration. Lengths of cable would vary as well.
Not to mention how they are routed.

It would be interesting to try suspending a cable in front of a tweeter
and hit it with a bunch of high frequency sound.

Measuring jitter isn't hard if you have an eye pattern analyser and a
synthesizer. I happen to work for a company that makes both, but they
are not designed for low frequencies like SPDIF. Too bad, it might be a
fun experiment.

--
regalma1