cliveb;174747 Wrote:
> In extreme cases it'll be clearly audible. In other cases it might add a
> 60Hz component at a low enough level that you may not consciously notice
> it, but at the same time could smear fine detail in the affected signal.
> If you suspect there is any kind of hum problem, the simplest solution
> is to make the DC output cable longer so you can keep the transformer
> as far as possible from the other system components.

Well, I can check for this in two rather precise ways.  First, I can
play a silent track through the SB with the volume on everything maxed.
If I don't hear a hum at that level, it's hard to believe it could
affect my listening experience when the volume is much lower and music
is playing.

Second, and I'll try this, I can connect the analogue out of the SB to
a computer audio interface I have and record the waveform.  If there's
a 60 Hz component it will show up (either in the fourier transform or
just by eye).

--
opaqueice