sfraser;176139 Wrote:

> In a perfect world i would demonstrate the SB/SS working as intended in
> stock fashion, then i could dial back the buffer size  to a point of
> lets say 75-100 milli-seconds, congest and introduce network failures
> and let the customer observe the results.

I realize that's what you want to do, but it is not possible because
you are talking about a buffer size that is too small for TCP to
function even on a perfectly good network. Even below the application
level, the OS presents a "receive window" (buffer size) to the other
side which must be large enough to allow the sender to keep sufficient
packets in flight to achieve the required data rate and to enable the
"fast retransmit" algorithm.

Packet losses are a _NORMAL_ occurrence for TCP. That is, in fact, the
mechanism by which TCP determines how fast it can send data. So if you
were to design a setup which fails on a single packet loss, I can
guarantee it will fail independent of whatever simulation you're
applying.

and we have barely scratched the surface yet... TCP is extremely
complex!  50ms is a very very small about of time as far as TCP is
typically concerned. It is so small that such an outage would be
practically impossible to detect at the application level. Isn't that
the whole reason why this is a selling point of the product?

With a VOIP stream (which is not at all like TCP) you would be able to
hear short outages - maybe not 50ms, but at 100-200ms you could hear
short clicks.

--
seanadams