opaqueice;176468 Wrote:
> Gary, it's not like that - there's no such assumption.  We don't
> understand these psychological effects well enough to be able to say
> why they occur or what you will think you hear.  What we do know is
> that they do occur, and very often - when people are asked which of two
> identical things are better, they almost never say "these are
> identical", and almost always say "this one is better".  Not only that
> they have very specific (and wrong, since in these controlled
> experiments the two are identical) reasons for why one is better.  This
> is an established fact, but for some reason many people are very
> resistant to it.
>
> This particular tweak, and many others, is very hard to explain through
> physics.  To accommodate it we would need either a very complicated and
> unlikely mechanism using known physics, or we would have to invoke
> something new and unknown.  So we have two explanations for the same
> fact - one which we know is there, which has been confirmed again and
> again, and one which is very complicated and baroque or goes against
> centuries of accumulated knowledge.  There's not much of a choice
> there, and so it isn't something interesting to investigage, because
> it's very easily explained with something boring and conventional.
>
> Let me give one example (I'm purposely making it extreme to illustrate
> the point).  Imagine you're a scientist, and someone came to you and
> said, when I flip this switch on the wall of my living room, the lights
> go on.  Then when I flip it back they go back off.  I think it's because
> there are some aliens watching that switch, and when it's up they
> immediately fly down from their saucer and make the lights light up.
>
> Now obviously there's a simple, plausible explanation which doesn't
> involve aliens - but the alien one isn't impossible!  So at that point
> do you go to the effort of investigating?
>
> To stretch the analogy a little further, suppose the person came back
> and said, look, my house doesn't have any electricity, so it can't have
> to do with that, but the light still goes on!  That's the equivalent of
> a double-blind test result - it eliminates the obvious explanation,
> leaving room for something more interesting.  But without that it's
> really easy to explain, and not worth giving much credibility to the
> alien hypothesis.
>
> Sorry for such a long post, but do you see my point?

You are really overcomplicating matters!
There is no need for amazing explanations, only plausible ones.
Personally I normally avoid possible explanations since they tend to
turn into "reality" for some people. I can actually accept that things
may happen which I don't fully understand. That's the starting point
for further investigation. I might throw up some _posibilities_, since
some people tend to say things are "impossible" even when clearly they
are not.

Your example isn't very good since you describe an actual effect
looking for a cause, wheras in this tweak-case you don't believe there
is any actual effect.

--
P Floding