FatElvis2000;176497 Wrote:
> Are there any published measurements on the web I could review?  I've
> never seen a "technical reason", but only opinions and perceptions.

Such tests would be almost meaningless as it is the interaction between
sender (output), cable and receiver (input) that decides the overall
performance.

Technical reason is very simple:
1. The digital data stream (SPDIF) includes timing information.
2. Receiver chips have so far failed to supress all variation in this
timing information -instead letting through a lot of it. This variation
is called "jitter".
3. The link (coax or optical) influences the timing information.
4. Modern ASRCs (asynchronous sample rate converters) may make matters
worse by embedding jitter in the new, converted, datastream -thus
making any downstream reclocking schemes ineffective in rejecting link
jitter.

See:
http://stereophile.com/reference/1093jitter/index.html

--