pablolie;176866 Wrote:
> Are my ears deceiving me with the Winamp FLAC encoder?

Decoder.

If I'm not mistaken, Winamp just uses a standard bit of software for
decoding flac.  The latest Winamp version includes it with the install,
while before you had to install flac and the flac installer installed
the software into Winamp.

Unlike mp3 and other lossy decoding, there's nothing magical about flac
decoding - it's just a mathematical process to get back to the original
wav.

The problem may be that you're hearing the effects of Window's k-mixer.
Try kernel streaming instead.  Download the plugin, then change the
ouput plugin under Winamp preferences.

http://www.stevemonks.com/ksplugin/

--
JJZolx