There's a strange fear of trying these tests...  it's really not that
hard.  I've done it several times now, including recently for the
linear versus stock PS (which requires a minute or so of downtime).

If in the 20 seconds it takes to swap a cable you've already forgotten
the sound enough that you can't distinguish, are you going to notice
the difference in any real situation - like the next day?  And why do
you want to compare XLR to XLR?  Just try XLR to RCA - you probably
won't be able to tell.  If you can, you can proceed to try to find out
why.  Volume matching can be annoying but it's not difficult - the
volumes are matched when the two sources are indistinguishable :-).

Try an RCA to XLR comparison, with the volumes matched as well as you
can, and see if you can hear a difference.

As for foobar, I agree results obtained with a standard computer
soundcard don't necessarily apply to the SB or transporter.  What's
really instructive about it is how often you think you can tell the
difference and turn out to be wrong.   It's very good training, and it
helps later in deciding when a difference you think you hear might be
illusory.

And again, even if for some reason you decide this is all too much
trouble, just go and read the results of the many, many tests which
others have already done.

--
opaqueice