I did some testing using the 24 bit 88.2kHz wma lossless test file from
the Linn site:
http://download.linnrecords.com/recit24bit.wma

This file play just fine on my SB3.
I had to go into the server settings, file types, and uncheck the
windows media-(built-in) check box.
The options WAV-wmadec, FLAC-wmadec/flac or MP3-wmadec/lame all play
just fine.
Both slimserver and the SB3 reports the files as 22.7kHz, but I suspect
this is some kind of bug. My guess is that the SB3 drops every second
sample and plays these files as 24 bit 44.1kHz.

Then I used dbpoweramp to convert wma to wav, I made 3 files of 96, 48
and 44.1kHz. None of these files would play on my SB3 regardless of
file type settings, I just got a hissing noise.

Last I converted the wav files to flac both using dbpoweramp and the
original flac encoder. All of these files played fine using the the
FLAC-(built-in) setting, and reported the correct sampling rates.

--
Veggen