Ripping with iTunes to lossless files also preserves the HDCD info. When
I bought my CDP (ADCOM GCD-750) it was at the tail end of HDCD decoders
being readily available, and since it had an external digital input - I
thought, hey neat. Even tho, at that time I had nothing to plug into it,
and no idea that a few short years later along would come the
squeezebox!

I also read somewhere that HDCD wasn't adopted because they are
mastered at a slightly lower level, so that after the HDCD info from
the dither signal is extracted, the level is 'normal'. Record companies
then didn't want their discs to be perceived as 'quieter' with normal
CDP's so HDCD wasn't used.

--
alZmtbr