> ... The originator of this thread mislabeled the "quality" for
> playback level.

I do think there are some "standards" for signal levels, so I think it
would be unusual for different sources to have very different levels.
Then again, I have tended to only and exclusively feed "pure" sources
into my audio system - CDs, now the SB via the CDs DA, and formerly
more turntable and compact cassette stuff (amazing how the latter,
which was an enjoyable art 15 years ago, has utterly disappeared. Darn,
I had prided myself on my cassette recorded skills, and friends begged
me for my productions!).

I know I'd be displeased if different sources had wildly different
levels - for one I'd be worried about some source actually feeding too
high a signal and distorting or even damaging stuff.

--
pablolie