Skunk;184960 Wrote:
> Ok, so say we have difference that is subjectively/objectively audible.
>
> I suppose that's good for forming an opinion, but wouldn't you then
> form a hypothesis as to why it's audible, and wouldn't it be a
> hypothesis of electrical change inside the box?
>
> I'm not an engineer/scientist, so my questions are sincere.

It's up to the people claiming that it's audible to explain the
differences they are hearing with a bit more precision IMO.

Is it a dynamic difference? Does it effect a certain frequency range?
Can people hear artifacts and pinpoint them in time, so that the rest
of us can hear them too? Unless these things can be fully identified I
remain skeptical.

I've worked with audio for long enough now to know what constitutes a
difference and what does not. If I'm playing a gig and my lower 'A's
are way louder than the rest of my guitar's audible spectrum I know to
tell the engineer to cut 110hz, 220hz and maybe 440hz by a few db for
instance.

Lack of dynamic range is similarly obvious - but harder to explain.

Panning is the killer, as our ears are not great at perceiving
direction. Try tilting your head to one side very slightly when
listening.

For this reason all tests that don't relate to stereo effects should be
conducted in mono with one speaker.

i often turn my head to one side to remove this confusing positional
info when mixing.
Brian Wilson never had this problem of course  ;)

Also remember that you have fluids in your ear that are constantly
moving around.

There are so many extenuating circumstances that, unless the difference
is really concrete - to the extent that you can say "I would do such and
such specific operation to correct this", the perceived difference
should be questioned, and preferably measured in a scientific manner
(you *need* an anechoic chamber for some things).

If I had to worry about CPU load when I'm working with Cubase, I
wouldn't do anything at all. If engineers worried about how hot their
outboard compressor got - or felt they had to put it on a rubber tyre
with a duck watching, no music would ever be recorded.

OK - some engineers do do things like this, but you get my point  ;)

Then again - it's not my disk-space...
Do what you will with your drives if it makes you happy  :)

--
Codmate