results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=33217
Question: analog or digital?

- analog: Rane AC23B active balanced analog crossover  with Alps
  potentiometer doing volume
- digital: Behringer DCX2496 with SB3 doing volume in digital domain

This subject was beaten to dead on many forums. For best sound quality
the DCX MUST be feed with a hot (high level) digital signal.
Please look at :
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15943&perpage=10&highlight=&pagenumber=1
I'm using 4 way configuration with two DCX2496. I added a 6 gang
potentiometer to the DCX . All of my amplifiers have volume controls.
Playing with this potentiometer and the amplifiers's controls I can set
the relative levels between the amplifiers and set the potentiometer in
the DCX in order to use the the SB volume control for fine tunning say
from 87/100 to full volume.
For volume control you can look at Endler's potentiometers
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4c5pt/id11.html or this French 6 ways
volume control:
http://www.selectronic.fr/international.asp
Chris