cliveb;185345 Wrote:

> This statement calibrates their credibility to zero. There is
> absolutely no way that the signal emerging from a Transporter fed from
> one of its SPDIF inputs can possibly be more accurate than from its
> network interface. So if we are to accept that HiFi News genuinely
> believed it sounded better that way, then we must conclude that they
> like a bit of added distortion. What might this have to say about their
> preference for the Townsend player?
>
> Afterthought: Wouldn't it be deliciously ironic if the reason for their
> preferring the SPDIF input turns out to be that they inadvertantly had
> bitrate limiting switched on in SlimServer?

In theory you are right, and it is an indication of their basic lack of
technical understanding that they did not question this result and look
for errors or bad judgement.

However, in practice it is possible that a wired interface introduces
noise into a system, noise which will depend on the wires, the way the
wires connect and what's hanging on the other end of the wires.

Reviewers everywhere seems almost universally technically challenged,
unfortunately. (At least when it comes to the digital world.)

--
P Floding

No, I didn't ABX it. And I won't even if you ask me. (Especially not if
you ask me.)