Olav Sunde;185904 Wrote:
> Phil Leigh wrote:
> > Reading another amusing thread on the merits of streaming flac vs
> wav
> > reminded me to post in this thread...
> >
> > If you insist in streaming WAV you will not be able to play the
> 24-bit
> > flacs - they transcode into white noise!
> The 24bit files that WMP outpts are actually 20bit files with 4bits
> added it seems. FLAC simply remove the empty 4bits when encoding and
> the
> FLAC ends up as a 20bit file. My SB plays the FLAC file, but with to
>
> low volume. To fix this I open the Cronotron WAV in Adobe Audition and
>
> resave it in the same format. This WAV plays on the SB and the FLAC
> file
> is 24bit.
> >
> > Stick with streaming FLAC and the 24 bit-files play fine...
> >
> > or do they? Can anyone confirm that if we send a 24-bit FLAC to the
> SB
> > it comes out as 24-bit PCM (into the DAC) and not a 16-bit one?

Olav - you are using a slightly different process to me. I take the WMP
WAVOUT file (which won't play on an SB as it is a "non-standard"
20/24-bit WAVEX format - but I don't care as I don't stream WAV) and
open it in Audacity 1.3. Then I save it as a 24-bit FLAC from Audacity
(this only works in 1.3 which supports 24-bit FLAC).

Audacity opens the 20-bit wav as a 32-bit float file which is then
rescaled to 24-bit during the FLAC encoding AFAIK.

--
Phil Leigh