sting;186669 Wrote:
> Are there flaws for such combination (Sonos ZP80 plus Transporter)?  I
> really like the multi-room feature of the Sonos.

I don't have a Transporter, but in my opinion you fit the target market
of slim devices perfectly.

You can have the multi-room capability, like Cardinal Fang mentioned,
by using the Nokia internet tablet or similar as a remote anywhere in
the house, or from the coffee shop for that matter. Rooms where sound
quality isn't important get an Sb3 hooked to powered speakers or
similar.

It seems like you've pretty much decided on the Transporter, so if you
go with the Sonos>SD approach, I would make sure the ZP isn't doing
anything to the digital output like volume control or replay gain,
before feeding it to a transporter. I would also compare the SPDIF out
of my cd player to the SPDIF out of the ZP, both into the transporter
to make sure there isn't an obvious audible difference. Something from
Transporter's description that may or may not be worth keeping in
mind:

> Jitter (standard deviation):
>
> * 11ps at oscillator (intrinsic jitter)
> * 17ps at DAC
> * 35ps at S/PDIF receiver

It would be easier, and more ideal, to simply not have the ZP to worry
about. You would gain the ability to plug the cd player into the Tp,
rather than the ZP, and reduce the amount of jitter seen at the DAC.

The whole idea seems to me a bit like using the Sb3 to feed a
Transporter, but I understand your affinity for the sonos interface and
remote.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever setup you choose.

--
Skunk