pablolie wrote:
> jeffmeh;186851 Wrote:
>> Of course they can, but I will stand by my point.  It is negligible
>> without a highly revealing combination of system, room, speakers, and
>> ears.  It is probably negligible in most cases even where such a
>> combination exists.
>
> Not sure it has to be a very accurate system - it simply has to happen
> to be a chain that happens to produce a more individually tailored and
> appealing sound based on the particular change in the chain.

Absolutely.

Digital "problems" tend to affect the sound in a certain way - I
describe it as a loss of fluidity, a "hardening" of the sound, a loss of
depth and sound stage. It may not be immediately obvious on first listen
but listening fatigue quickly sets in.

My personal theory is that this is caused by phase relationships getting
 mangled, particularly at high-frequencies.

I heard a similar sound through a Rotel amp with a bad tone control
design - even when supposedly bypassed, the tone controls sucked the
life out of the sound. When I took them out of circuit, the amp totally
changed - it became musical. I put this down to phase effects too.

Anyway, my point is to agree with pablolie in that I don't think it
necessarily needs a particularly accurate system to identify certain
changes in the digital source.

R.