opaqueice;187020 Wrote:
> Actually this might be very very misleading.
>
> You're subtracting two signals in the time domain.  The resulting
> signal is determined by all sorts of things which have nothing to do
> with audible differences.  For example, suppose the signals are
> slightly mis-aligned in time.  In that case the difference will be
> large even if the files were otherwise absolutely identical.  If the
> mis-alignment is small, the difference will be almost all in the
> high-frequency domain, as you are seeing.

I wondered if there might be a problem like that. To check it, I made
up another example. This time I've included 320Kb, 128 Kb and VBR as
well as a 56Kb MP3 of the original so you can hear approximately what
the original sounds like (it's Wolfstone's "Tinnie Run" - 15 second
guitar riff then lots of drums and acoustic guitars).

I also included a screenshot from Audacity zoomed right in to the
sample level on one peak on the original and each of the three
encoded/decoded files. I'm no audio expert, but they sure don't look
like they are out of sync in the time domain, but I can see subtle
differences in the waveforms. I didn't do anything to them other than
load them up in the same project then zoom in.

The files are all here, with filenames that should be self-explanatory:

http://qqqq.ca/files/audio-comparison/

--
joatca

SB3, NAD 3020, Mission 762i's