I do not think the very approach is correct: you liked more bass from
your particular PC configuration, which by no means should lead to a
conclusion that PC as a source is better then SB, or vice versa. The
only possible conclusion is that you liked sound of your soundcard in
your PC better.

Each way has its advantages and disadvantages, even beyond sound
quality. Considering the conditions (EMI/RF) inside of PC case I'm
pretty sure the same soundcard may sound quite differently in various
setups. My understanding pro workstations do apply some special care on
in-box audio circuitry, so I'm not sure that mere getting an expensive
sound card and pushing it into home PC guarantees noise-free output. SB
is much easier to manage from that perspective.

--
325xi