andy_c;189980 Wrote:
> Be careful what you read over there.  Having worked in the RF/microwave
> area for many years, I'm having difficulty believing that this guy is
> actually an RF engineer.
>
> That forum is a major source of misinformation IMO.  For example, I
> noticed in response to your question "Interconnects essentials -
> question for objectivists" over there, the moderator responded,
> including in part some information about EM simulators and their
> supposed capabilities.  The paragraph beginning "However, you have to
> realize, that software programs for this kind of thing..." is almost
> entirely wrong.  I worked for about 6 years on RF/microwave circuit
> simulation software.  This was not with the guts of the internal
> simulation code (that was restricted to Ph.D types) but with code that
> interfaces to it.  This was both circuit-level and EM simulation (i.e.
> shapes).  The code was tested against actual customer-provided
> measurements of real circuits at frequencies up to 40 GHz (thats
> gigahertz or 10^9 Hertz).  In fact, one of the applications of this
> type of software is for customers to design various types of filters
> (low pass, bandpass, etc) that operate up into the microwave frequency
> range.  The "elements" of these filters are not discrete inductors or
> capacitors at all, but rather consist only of traces on the circuit
> board (or integrated circuit or ceramic substrate) that are judiciously
> designed.  His statement that the software doesn't cover the RF spectrum
> that's in common use is ludicrous and utterly wrong.
>
> Here is the link:
> http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=cables&n=127754&highlight=simulation+analysis+Jon+Risch&r=&session=

I know that forum is the Real Audiophile Place - i.e. where "what you
hear is *always* true". However even there little gems can be found
once in a while.

I have no "background" information on Sean, however I remember he was
considered the guru on Audiogon forums few years back.

What about that particular opinion on Goertz? The other guy there, Jon
Risch, is involved in cable making, so his opinion is pretty
interesting too...

--
325xi