creativepart;190644 Wrote:

> I do know that in most things, you learn a great deal in the beginning
> of a new process and decisions that are made up front are often made in
> ignorance of the real world situation.
> The most importance decision is to rip to a lossless format.  Any
lossless format can be converted to any other format (lossless or
otherwise) at a later date.

IMO the other importance thing is to use a ripping program which will
give you bit perfect copies, or let you know if not - and that's where
I would have a doubt over iTunes.

The third important thing is to keep your files in separate directories
for each disk or album, and organise them is a consistent way -
/Artist/Album/Tracks is a common one.  You should also ensure that each
'rip' is tagged with at least the Artist, Album and track numbers and
names.  It's relatively easy to add and edit tags at a later date, but
the more you get right to start with the easier it is, and you need to
make sure you know at least what everything is and what it goes with!

--
Patrick Dixon

www.at-tunes.co.uk