opaqueice;190587 Wrote:
> I agree with most of what you said here, but I think it's going too far
> to say that the objectivists here believe that most tweaks are a waste
> - personally I believe that many of them are, but certainly not all,
> and I don't know about most.  What's frustrating is how easy it is to
> check whether a given tweak actually works, and yet how totally
> resistant the proponents typically are to doing so.

Given the brevity of aural memeory, (borrowing the phrase from Sean)
I'll bet dollars to donuts, that few of you have conducted a valid
hardware DBT audio test. 30+ yrs ago, I did nothing but set up the
switching mechanisms for (admittedly non audio) tests at Hopkins
Medical School and the Maryland Psychiatric Research Center. Whatever
anecdotal results have been discussed here wouldn't pass peer journal
review criteria of those days, let alone whatever minimal criteria are
acceptable today.
Its straightforward to set up valid SBT or ABx tests, iff you have
circuit level access, and you're dealing with a situation where
(generally) nothing is turned off, levels matched and interruptions of
sound <5 seconds. This is why the Good Lord, in Her infinite wisdom,
has given us 4pdt switches, if you're dealing with something as
straightforward as power conditioning. And its not that incrementally
difficult to extend those tests to DBT with a computer and sufficient
quality relays. But other areas.... good luck. Leastwise, this is what
my students, 1 month away from recieving their BSEEs are finding out in
their senior lab course. Its actually more comical to watch them
breadboard and solder a simple circuit.

> I just hope we don't get to the point of censorship, like banning any
> mention of DBT (audiocircle) or not allowing any report of an
> improvement without having first done a careful DBT (hydrogenaudio).
> That really does stifle discussion, to the point that the board becomes
> pretty boring.

I've banned discussions about DBT in the Lab Circle at AudioCirle, not
discussion of actual DBT tests. I'm a strong believer in valid testing.
Its appears that folks find it far prefferable to invoke the shibboleth
of DBT rather than actually perform a valid one. Personally, I find
such discussions 'about' a boring, repetitive, fruitless exercise in
Onnanism. But if talking about it, rather than actually doing a valid
experiment, floats your boat, enjoy.

--
occam