I have tried the Transporter connected to two of my headphone
amplifiers, and in both cases, I have to nearly maximize the volume
setting for an adequate playback level in my headphones.

The Transporter offers attenuation settings, but they require opening
up the unit and changing jumpers. Of more concern, they mention that
the attenuation is currently set to 0 db as a default, and you can
change this to -10, or -20. These settings would, I expect, lower the
volume level even further.

Previously, these amplifiers required that the volume be set, for the
loudest reproduction wished for, at perhaps 1/5th of the maximum
setting for both of my cd players, and perhaps 1/4 max total volume for
my Polk XM radio.  When using the Transporter, I am required to turn the
volume setting up to nearly max volume for even adequate listening.
What is the answer here? I can't believe this isn't a workable
situation. Thanks.

--
Sword1