Robin Bowes;192575 Wrote:

> ???
>
> It appears to me that was *exactly* what they were doing? Are you
> suggesting that the testing was flawed?

That's not at all what they were doing.  They played some musical
selections on two amps (invisible to the listeners), labelled A and B
or something, and then asked which the listeners preferred.  In such a
situation people will almost always express a preference even if A and
B are identical, and if asked will construct elaborate (and false)
reasons for their choice.  In fact this setup is almost identical to
that of a study I know, where the researchers were interested in this
psychological effect (so in the study the options were identical but
disguised).

So yes, the test was flawed - the results are meaningless (for audio at
least) if the participants couldn't actually perceive a difference.
They should have checked that first, which would have been very easy to
do given their setup.

> Meaning?

As Skunk said - that probably all or most of the amps couldn't be
distinguished in an ABX test.  That's been shown over and over again
with many different types of amps.  Their results are consistent with
that, as most of the votes were split about evenly.  One exception
might be the Panny, which I think does an A->D and a D->A.

--
opaqueice