I agree that the relationship is non-linear for sure and that we all
should care deeply about performance.  I'm not sure that I (or anyone)
would say value is irrelevant at all.  It's interesting to think that
it's probably the SB at relatively low cost that gets us all to this
forum anyway.

I would still suggest that there isn't a simple answer to the question
of 'whether it's worth it'....applying to anything we spend in audio
terms....not just this unit.  For one man, £100 pounds is OK; another
£1000 is OK for the same change in perceived performance.

Each person would be entirely correct in their view of course.

And...thank goodness for that too !!

--
ncpl