I have been testing the analogue output of the SB3 against a couple of
mid range cd players in my house including the yahama HRD 1500 which is
an old fashioned 250GB hard drive player I have been using a lot
(http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/products/hf/cdrhd1500.html)

It's pretty obvious that the DAC quality of the SB3 is lower than these
players. Not just me, I put the girlfriend to a blind test. Note I am am
not confusing myself with audio compression becuase I was playing a wav
on the yamaha vs a flac on the SB3 and the CD on my Denon (which are
all identical).

I don't want to fork out $2,000 dollars for a transporter in every room
but I havn't been able to find an amp with spdif that can do a decent
job of driving the Quad 21L speakers I use in non critical rooms. I
also don't want to spend $1,000+ on the benchmark DAC1 etc.

Can anyone please reccomend a lower priced DAC for giving the quality
of a standard mid range CD player like the Denon / Yamaha CD player
with 16bit audio. If it makes a difference I am a fan of Classical
Choral works.

I saw the Sigtone Shek d2 DAC on ebay uk at £160 (or $320). What about
this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sigtone-Shek-d2-Non-OS-TDA1545A-TDA-1545A-DAC_W0QQitemZ230117189843QQcategoryZ81741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

--
willyhoops