seanadams;198672 Wrote:
> I think I follow what you're trying to say there, but it does not apply.
> The volume function is always 24 bits wide. It doesn't know or care
> whether the lower 8 bits are "used", and all 24 bits of output are
> meaningful regardless of the input word length.
>

> That's exactly right, if you drop the word "effectively". There is no
> "effectively". It's precisely the same operation, not merely the same
> result. The _input signal_ in either case is precisely the same.

Ok, I understand the SPDIF part.

But if I have a 16bit wav file, and applied a normalization (not replay
gain, static normalization of the data). which may reduce it's volume
and it wrote out a new 16bit file, data is lost due to a "Volume
change". So if I converted that file to 24bit first then did
normalization it would unlikely lose any data. Correct?

On a similar topic, do plugins like the room correction also work in
24bit (when fed 16bit wave file)?

--
mswlogo