Anne wrote:
> I have ordered the dac upgrade for my Bryston, it has 2 Toslink and 2
> idpf (or whatever) inputs.
> Thought I should go for this digital cable :
> http://www.deko.no/produkter_studio.htm#XV2
> comes with bnc connectors but bnc to rca adapters are included....
> Maybe just a cheap video composite cabel will do just as good ?
> Is Toslink better maybe ?

There is no such thing as a digital cable. All cables send voltages down
the wire. When you send a digital signal down a wire, the receiving end
senses just the major transitions. Analog signals are sensed high, low,
and in between.

Technically, you can not have a proper 75 ohm connector using RCA. But
for 99% of the uses, no one can tell any difference. Nearly all
professional digital connections are BNC. Nearly all amateur/consumer
gear uses RCA.

Toslink is not better in theory, but it does avoid electrical
connections, so it can be more immune to ground loops.
In theory, toslink is worse than BNC 75 ohm connections,
but I never could tell a difference.

Good quality 75 ohm video cable should work fine.

What do you mean, just as good? This is an audiophiles list, we obscess
over everything.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html