Can you provide any back-up to this statement:

"CD sales are down 20% year on year and growing online digital file
sales are very much failing to make up the gap"

I have a few problems with it:

1. Unit of measurement - if you are talking dollars, I don't think it
is a relevant statement. Sure, the big guys aren't making their gross
(I mean indecent) revenues & profits, but I believe (IMO) there is a
far more important redistribution of dollars to artists who are not
abused by the big guys. So far, win-win (except for shareholders, but I
wouldn't invest in them any more than I would invest in tobacco
merchants)

2. If you are talking 'songs', I have a very hard time believing that
online digital music has not resulted in a far larger quantity of
'songs' being distributed (purchased) than what were distributed on CD
alone.

In the end, the labels are going to have to accept (and EMI has begun)
that the old business model is dead, and a new one that hopefully
better distributes the wealth to the artists will rise from the ashes!

--
nicketynick

Wireless SB3, Denon DRA-F101, Mission M31 loudspeakers
WinXP SP2 Slimserver, SMC WBR14g router
http://www.last.fm/user/nicketynick/