I have been using SB2/3 with Bryston BP25DA (preamp with built-in DAC)
for a couple of years now and find it a wonderful combination. (Feeding
a Bryston 4B-SST->Watt Puppy 7s)

I also recently purchased a Transporter as a source for a new balanced
headphone rig.  Inspired by your post, I decided to do some long
overdue side-by-side listening of the Transporter DAC vs the
SB3/Bryston DAC.

To my ears the two sound very similar -- both wonderful, both natural
with plenty of detail.  I listened to everything from Beethoven Piano
Trios to some hip-hop, and the only difference I could hear was a
slightly wider soundstage coming from the Transporter -- and even that
was subtle.

Because my room acoustics are not great at the moment I did my
listening with my headphone rig (a Headroom Max Balanced Amp & balanced
AKG701s).

Don't think you can go far wrong either way...

--
muski