Ah reading about it more that paper is not talking about what i though I
think. It is talking about jitter in exactly the sense that AndyC is...
except they are adding a twist between edge to edge jitter (typically
500ps and which we get published figures for) and ideal clock jitter
which takes into account the shape of the square wave compared to the
ideal. Confusing stuff. I can't see any articles about how important
clock accuracy is (eg the 2.5ppm $6,000 DAC figure compared to the
50ppm normal quartz clock accuracy). I am giving up and finishing where
I started - which is that built in dacs eg on cd players/sb3/transporter
don't suffer audible jitter and have a big advantage over problematic
spdif connections, and PLL or buffering are vital features in an
external DAC.

--
willyhoops