krochat;201427 Wrote:
> So, what exactly is "piracy" vs fair use, especially for material you've
> already purchased in a different format?
>
> Case 1: Stuff you've purchased once.
>
> I own 2000 LPs, mostly purchased new. Obviously, I can't play them on
> my Squeezebox. Can I
>
> 1) Rip the LP to a digital recording?
> 2) Check out the same CD from the library and rip it?
> 3) Borrow the CD from a friend and rip it?
> 4) Download the CD from a free internet site?
> 5) Buy the CD, rip it, then sell it used?
>
> Case 2: Music that I haven't purchased previously.
>
> I Borrow the CD from the library and rip it. Can I
> 1a) Listen, then delete it when I return it to the library?
> 1b) Listen, and don't delete it?
> 2) Can I buy the CD used? (No artist or company gets paid).
> 3) Can I buy the CD, rip it, then sell it used? (The artist and company
> do get paid).
>
> Curiously,
> Kim

It would be very interesting to see the content industry address these
questions.  They have a history of waffling when it comes to Fair Use.
At one point (I think it was in testimony to Congress) they said of
course it is legal to rip a CD and listen to it on your iPod, then less
than a year later they indicated that that specific behavior was
technically a violation, but the IP industry was magnanimously willing
to currently grant users that boon without pursuing legal action but
the situation could change at any time if they ever decided to clamp
down.

--
Pale Blue Ego