325xi;202291 Wrote:
> This is not strictly related to SB, but I'll try anyways...
>
> My system sits in the closet for a while, mainly due to
> "incompatibility problems" between my speakers and my 2 years old kid.
> The speakers are nice little monitors Revel m20. Little, but heavy - 45
> lbs each, normally sitting on stands. The kid is tall and strong for his
> age, and we believe he can push the speaker so it can fall, which would
> be very dangerous, for both parties involved.
>
> I'm looking for an idea how to make speakers stable enough so my kid
> won't be able to make it fall.
>
> I see two ways to resolve this:
> - get large full-range speakers instead of monitors. Cool idea, but
> large speaker of similar quality would cost an arm and leg. I also feel
> totally unprepared for this - for me it would take months to do all the
> listening required to make a decision on such an investment.
> - get especially well balanced stands that also allow Revels to be
> mounted permanently (screws, or the like - not Blu Tac). I never heard
> of such a stands off he shelf; and I don't know if/where such a thing
> can be custom made here in Montreal... :(
>

> Please, give me ideas, I want my system back!

I've Magnepan 3.6R....which are very large and flimsy speakers --
purchased before my young Son could walk.   When he began to start to
walk, I purchased a plastic, meshed playpen fence at Kmart(back then)
for about $40.    I layed it out around the speakers in a U-shaped
pattern.     It formed a clear demarkation, not a strong physical
barrior.  Whenever my Son went to the fence and touched it...I would
say "no" and pull him away.   By the time he was 3, I didn't need to
reinforce this behavior.   A very strong psychological barrier was
formed -- better than any physical reinforcement.

Fast-forward nearly 4 years, my Son approaching 6.  Still the fence is
up and he stays away.  Plus he helps keep his friends away that may not
know better.   I take it down when he is gone and I am alone listening,
and if I forget to put it up....my Son complains that the fence is not
there.....it is not normal -- I put it back ;)    Today he has
understanding of what is behind the fence, and an understanding that it
is dangerous and not for kids to play with.

--
jt25741

SB3->AR Masters Coax -> PS Audio DLIII -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR ->
Sim Audio P5 -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio W5 -> Cardas
Golden Reference Hi-Mid,PS Audio Xstream Plus Low-> Magnepan 3.6R