BigEars;202958 Wrote:
> There seems to be a deathly silence from DAC designers about why they
> work (they only do if implemented properly), and that is probably
> because the story is not the sort of thing audiophiles really want to
> hear. So... "all DACs suffer from distortion due to non-linearities,
> and this is particularly so at high volumes, and it is particularly
> noticeable to human ears due to it's artifical nature. One way to
> reduce it is to feed the DAC with an upsampled signal so full of
> ultrasonic noise that the non-linearities added by the DAC have less
> effect on the baseband audio signal...". Doesn't sound like good
> marketing copy does it!
>
> Seems to be more effective than straight dithering because it is
> signal-dependent (the ultrasonic images are higher level when the music
> is louder), so it doesn't affect S/N as much for a given amount of
> dither.
>
> There is nothing magic about it, it is just another bodge to improve
> the perceived accuracy of a flawed recording/playback technology. The
> same happened with Vinyl until it really did sound uncannily real, and
> I guess digital will continue to go through the same evolution.

Maybe if I had some picture/graphs of what you are describing it would
make more sense to me.   It definately has enough techno-jargon for
good marketing copy though ;)

--
jt25741

SB3->AR Masters Coax -> PS Audio DLIII -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR ->
Sim Audio P5 -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio W5 -> Cardas
Golden Reference Hi-Mid,PS Audio Xstream Plus Low-> Magnepan 3.6R