Do you have the skills/inclination to build one yourself?  If so it can
be fairly cheap.

In regards to EAC, the CPU intensive task is the encoding.  Ripping
itself is easy and is constrained by the optical drive - optical drives
in laptops are notoriously poor.  The current encoding champ is the
Intel Core 2 Duo.  I have an E6600 and it's incredible - FLAC at -8
(maximum compression) and LAME -V 6 one after the other - both tasks
combined at THIRTY SECONDS per track!  This is more than twice as fast
as my retired Pentium 4 2.8 GHz and four times as fast as the AMD Duron
1.2 GHz in my secondary PC.

Core 2 Duos have come down in price and you can get the low-end ones
for not all that much.  Motherboards for this can be pricey but I'm
using an economical ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA - the nice thing about it is
that you can reuse your old DDR RAM and your old AGP card.

But if you don't want to build a PC yourself, the lower-end Dells ought
to do.  If you can find one with an entry level Core 2 Duo you'd be all
set.  As long as you go for a desktop you'll get a better optical drive
than you would with a laptop, so you would be covered there as well.

--
Mark Lanctot

'Sean Adams' Response-O-Matic checklist, patent pending!'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=200910&postcount=2)