liffy99;203943 Wrote:

> Anyway, from the first few seconds it was clear that something had
> changed - I was hearing new things from my FLAC recordings. There did
> not seem to be much change, if any, to frequency extension, dynamics or
> sound level. The best way I can describe it is that another "veil" has
> been lifted, lowering an already low noise floor to vanishingly low
> levels. I'm assuming that this has allowed more ambient musical
> information to come through unimpeded. Images seem a little more three
> dimensional, stage width now easily exceeds the outside edge of the
> loudspeakers, pianos seem to have taken on a new breadth.

If the improvement is in the noise floor, you can hear it much better
without music playing.  Either mute the SB or play a completely silent
track (there are many ways to make one if you can't find one to
download somewhere) and just listen to your speakers with your ear
close to the tweater, and with the amp/SB volumes maxed or high.  I've
been able to hear a (very slight) difference between different RCA
interconnects that way, but replacing the SB supply with a linear had
no effect at all.  Given that those are absolutely ideal conditions for
hearing a difference, I concluded that the linear supply made no change
in the noise floor of my system.  I'd be curious to know if the same is
true for you (and if you try it, unplug the wallwart from the wall while
testing the linear to be sure there's no RFI contributing).

--
opaqueice