I can see one advantage to using an external, GPS-referenced external
word clock: it would allow multiple units listening to the same
Internet audio broadcast at diverse locations to stay exactly in sync
without dropping or duplicating samples, assuming the sender was also
using a GPS-referenced clock.  Any extremely high accuracy clock source
would probably allow precise synchronization over reasonably long
intervals, even if not locked to a common source such as GPS.

XM radio uses GPS to generate a house clock signal so the remote
studios, New York, Nashville, Toronto, etc, are locked in sync with
Washington.  Interestingly enough, this master clock DOES NOT get
carried through to the DAC in XM receivers.  I once took two XM
receivers, tuned to the same channel, and viewed the WCLK signals on a
dual trace scope.  They tended to hunt back-and-forth relative to each
other, obviously steered by the master clock from Washington, but not
tightly locked to it.

--
Timothy Stockman