Pale Blue Ego;204197 Wrote:
> I agree that the best way to play these on a SB2 or SB3 is to decode to
> wav, downsample to 24/48, then encode to FLAC with compression setting
> 0.  That generally solves all the CPU problems.  I also think that the
> jump from 16-bit to 24-bit is more sonically significant than the jump
> from 44.1kHz to 96kHz.
>
> Side note: I believe it's possible to make a Video DVD containing those
> 24/96 files in full resolution.  It might be interesting to do a
> listening test of the SB3 using 24/48 vs a DVD player serving the same
> music at 24/96 to the same DAC.

I have wondered about the jump from 16-bit to 24-bit, and how sonically
significant that is. I have done a few tests for myself using digital
test files and have concluded that when I am situated in my normal
listening position, with my system's volume control at it's normal
listening position - I cannot hear anything below -90 dBFS to save my
life. Nothing. We can reach -90 dBFS with 16 bits of course.

I can hear -100dBFS if I crank the volume to something that is well
above normal, and I can perceive -110 dBFS if the volume is further
cranked to an insane point. If the SB3 glitched in that test, I think
my speaker cones would have been accelerated right through the grills
and killed me. -120 dBFS is detectable with even more insanity applied
to the volume knob, but at that point the test tones are dropping down
into my system's noise floor.

I have a hard time justifying the need for 24 bit resolution. I don't
feel a need for that unless I want to play my system at a level
equivalent to a jet engine, and then have it drop to total silence
between tracks:) At -120 dbFS, with my volume cranked all the way, the
grinding of the plastic gears in a clock somewhere in my place is
louder, the blood now beginning to roar in my ears is louder, etc.

I have done comparisons between 48kHz-24bit versus 44.1kHz-16bit music
and I think I could not pass an ABX test for anything, regardless of
the quality of the recording. However - there is a caveat here: I have
listened to both for extended periods of time, and I find that CDs,
even well recorded ones, are often fatiguing to me and I eventually
want to turn the volume down. With the same content at 48kHz-24bit (NOT
upconverted from a CD of course:) - it is not fatiguing and I can enjoy
the music indefinitely at the original volume setting.

So - I am thinking that 48 kHz is definitely preferable over 44.1 kHz
even though the difference is small.

-Ron

--
Ron F.

*Squeezebox setup:* wireless SB3 -> CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU
*Main rig:* NAD 7600 + NAD 2600A -> Phase Tech PC-6.5 speakers
*Headphone rig:* Headroom Max -> Sennheiser 650s
*Other stuff:* NAD C542 CDP, NAD 6300 Tape, Monster 5100 Power
conditioner, Outlaw Audio cables