Thanks for the replies.

Skunk: I wasn't planning on running out tomorrow and spending my money.
I plan to do more research and I realize that going out and auditioning
is the way to do that. Thanks for the suggestion to seek out
enthusiasts. I'm in LA right now, moving to Berkeley in late summer, so
I'm sure there are some near me...

Balthazar: so you suggest getting a NAS but not running slimserver from
it and then getting another box to run slimserver? That sounds expensive
but I can see the appeal. How well does slimserver run on a Mac? I might
consider getting a Mac mini instead of a Linux machine. Never used
Linux, love my mac...

--
Hypnotoad