Pale Blue Ego;206279 Wrote:
> I find that spinning CDs in a 52x CD-ROM drive for a few hours tends to
> elongate some of the zeros, making them slightly more one-like.  This
> provides 50% more resolution, since instead of just 0s and 1s, you have
> bits that are halfway between.  It's like getting an additional 8 bits
> of resolution for free...

I found somethng similar, but my results vary somewhat. I seem to be
getting non liner response from the whole process, where tracks
positioned closer to the edge of the CD get more resolution than the
tracks closer to the hole. I guess, it's because bits closer to the
edge are exposed to higher linear speed. Difference is so significant
that I can clearly detect it between the first and the last track
without any DBT. However, when listening sequentially, differences are
more subtle, but still discernable, so much so that even my wife
sometimes comes from the kitchen (where she burns in all kinds of
stuff) asking my why I keep listening those tracks close to the hole.
That's why I'm not sure if I should invest in audiophile grade
centrifugal force that would be able to defeat those pesky Newton's
principals, or just get a big drill and drill out inner half of the
disc.

--
slimkid

The sound stage will open up, bass will tighten and the imaging will
improve. DVD performance will also increase substantially.